Service Corps

Sunday, June 28, 2009















Chris:
Hm… hm… HMMM!!!! Two weeks down pretty much and I think I’m finally getting used to Hawaiian time. I think the biggest culture shock to me were the roads. In LA, we go 60, 70, 80, 90 and we don’t think twice. The speed limit in Honolulu is 55. Odd. Not that it’s a bad thing, just different.
But things are good. The people at church have been really warm with us. Especially the kids. They gave me a nickname. Chris Brown. And Steven. Steve Austin. Weird, huh?
The people here are awesome though. They always seem willing and interested to talk. We’ve run into random people on the street or in stores who end up having some sort of relation to people we’ve met at the corps or people we already know.
Auntie Donna is doing much better, thankfully. She’s been witnessing to the people in the hospital from what we’ve heard and she’s recovering beautifully.
I really miss everyone at home; most of all, my girlfriend. I’m missing my dad’s birthday tomorrow, my sister in law’s birthday next week, and my brother’s birthday next month. My friends sent me a video telling me how much they missed me. Couldn’t finish it.
Still, I’m really excited about these next few weeks. Reading scripture tomorrow during the service and helping Steven during Sunday school.
Just so you’ve heard it from me, my team is awesome. And so is Steven, my roomy. Always knows how to cheer me up on those early mornings we have which are many. Can’t imagine having a better roommate.
Bee-
Mhhm..where to begin this time. Auntie Donna is doing great from my last post! She came back to Hilo and is now recovering; she will be back in the office in the weeks ahead. Thanks everyone for praying for her! We appreciate it. Martina & I got our hair cut by the lovely & talented Bridgette we are so lucky to have her! In other news…we will be starting our Day Camp in Lanakila! I’m so excited for it! We have so much planned, it’s good to be over planned =) I’m crazy…crazy…madly in LOVE with the
People and kiddies here! Amazing! Their passions, hurts, sadness, happiness become apart me! I love what God is doing with me…He’s definitely using, molding, stretching, & challenging me here in Hawaii. It’s truly humbling to me. There is so much more to say but I will allow the other teammates to elaborate on our experiences. I’m blessed to have a great team & great host the Summerfields.
Steven-
I cant even begin to describe how my first two weeks have gone , amazing. The people here are so friendly and I love talking and learning about them. Well we just finished a week of working at FIS “Family Intervention Center” . it was certainly an interesting experience . but the days that I like the most were the days we went to the beach. Bridgett and I went last Tuesday and we both got sunburnt. Also we got to swim with turtles, it was off the hook. The kids were crazy but I wouldn’t have it any other way. The whole team got to go to the beach on Friday with about 17 kids I was very excited because I had just bought goggles and a snorkel. So I get into the water doing my scuba steve thing and my pocket started to buzz. I guess that I should of taken my phone out of my pocket before getting into the water. So I don’t have a phone anymore. But that’s ok. Next week we are doing days camps and I cant wait to to hang with the kids..P.S. I love my teammates.

Bridgette~
So there you have it… thought Id switch it up a bit for all you dedicated readers who are probably wondering if the rest of our team is still alive.. haha by the way, Martina fell asleep and that’s why she didn’t add her input (slacker) lol jk
Anyways, our team is having a good time and everyday seems to be a new adventure! Today we flew to Oahu for Camp Homelani’s wonderful music “school” concert!!! It was so exciting & totally different from music camp in the South West. They had ukulele performances, Hula dancing, amazing choirs, and of course brass band!! It was so fun to see the kids show their talents God blessed them with. And let me tell you, there was a lot of talent going on! Like playing a Ukulele behind their head and girls as young as 9 dancing hula as if it was as natural as breathing! I was truly touched by every performance and getting to hang out with the kidos after was even more entertaining.
But… I’m excited about next week’s day camp! Working with kids is super exciting for me, especially when we are going to THEIR neighborhood. It’s a perfect opportunity for us to share the gospel to children who may have never been told of it before! Just the other day we walked around the community inviting kids to the day camp and I was so shocking to see people actually come up to us to see what we had and ask if they can invite their nieces and nephews and other friends! YES... Adults were walking up to us to see what we were offering! I found this odd because everywhere else that I’ve tried to pass out flyers, seemed like rejection after rejection (which makes me feel lame) lol but everyone was so friendly and thankful which makes it all the more exciting to see the turn-out!
Well I better stop talking because I have to get up early manana and teach some Sunday school!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Martina and I have the preschool and kinder! Which is such a fun age. And I think they actually like us! hehe
Well until next time
Mahalo for making it all the way to the end of this blog I hope u enjoyed reading!
Miss you all and still keeping you in prayer…
much Aloha – Bridgette Mendez

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home