Service Corps

Monday, June 22, 2009

South Africa!!

Rushing, rushing, rushing! That's pretty much what we do everyday! Never a dull moment. :]

Our busy schedule mixed with the limited connectivity of the internet here make it pretty difficult to post but we're doing our best to keep you all updated! This is what's we've been doing the past couple days:

Friday -
Traveled to Lesedi Cultural Village and learned about the four different tribes of people native to South Africa. While we were there we ate bugs and I challenged a Zulu warrior to a stick battle and was immeadiately beaten to a pulp. It was awesome. After that we went to the first day of our child, youth, and young adult ministy in the town of Soweto, a short distance from Johannesburg. I did my first mini-message there! I was SO nervous but I think I did alright. My next opportunity will be tomorrow but it'll be a full length. Ahhhhh!

Anyway, during the youth service we got a taste of African praise and worship and it was something I'll never forget. They just danced, and danced, and danced... It was the coolest thing I've seen here so far, hands down. I didn't know the words to the songs, but I hummed along and danced anyway. Before we knew it, it was midnight and the team had to be up again at 6 to do the whole day all over.

Saturday -
Went to the Apartheid Museum in the morning while the Mission Team went back to get things started at Soweto. The museum was all about the the aparteid system that was dominent in South Africa up until 1994 when Nelson Mandela became the first black president of the country (maybe the world?). It was heartbreaking to see the type of segregation happening here in films so recent when I thought that type of treatment was long gone in the 20th century. How shielded we are in the US. After that we finished the ministry in Soweto and headed back to the Mission House.

Sunday -
I got sick! We got all the way to the Soweto Corps and then I started puking. Bummer. I think it was because I haven't been sleeping very well. Crazy dreams lately. So I missed the service but everyone else said it was really amazing and I can't wait until next Sunday when I get to be a part of it with the rest of the team.

This week we're leaving the Mission House and won't be back for two weeks! We're going to a town called Nelspruit(sp?) where we'll be doing children's and youth ministries until Friday. And then we're doing something else that I'm not sure of. And then our team is going to Kruger National Park for two or three days of enjoying God's natural beauty. Safari! I'm stoked! No hippos please, those things are mean.

And we're off again! Good bye and please pray for the health of our team. Everyone's got some kind of cold.

AF

2 Comments:

  • Andrew,

    You are all in my prayers. Sorry you had a day of sickness. Praying for your health, sleep and "normal" dreams.

    I'm sure your messages have been wonderful. As long as you let the Holy Spirit do the talking, God will do amazing things through you.

    I hope this experience is life altering for all of you, and you see God's power and handiwork in a whole new light.

    Shalom

    By Blogger Nancy Helms-Cox, At 6/22/2009 5:26 PM  

  • Thank You Andrew, Stay well

    Uncle David

    By Blogger dF, At 7/01/2009 7:38 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home