Service Corps

Monday, July 06, 2009

busy day

The day started very early and I had the opportunity to take a bath in a bucket. I had never done that yet, so I took advantage of it. So, I stood in the tub, and had to buckets of water; one hot and one cold, and a barrowed rag from somewhere I dont know. I dipped the rag in the water and squeezed it on me. For some reason I thought it would be so much more complicated, but I ended up really enjoying the process. Of course I was always scared someone would walk through the door, but it was really fun.
The first place we went was a primary school. The program was going to be outside. The kids looked so cute in their uniforms. For some reason, I dont know what, most of the kids where in shock to see some of us...well, the white people of the group. It was awesome. Before we started, I had the opportunity to share a devotional with the teachers. They sang chorus' and prayed, then I shared a few words. It is very exciting to see that the Gospel can be taught in the schools here. Now, we just gotta take advantage of that.
For the kids program, we had tons of dancing and singing. I always feel like I am being laughed at because of my dancing. Oh well. So, towards the end of the program, we all got scared. A little girl passed out. Nick was standing there and was able to hold her up. More people became aware and the teachers had us take her into one of the classrooms. We layed her down and her body lay limp on the ground. The teachers saw that she was not responding, so she was carried to a car and then brought to the hospital. Some say she fainted, others said she was demon possessed. I have no idea, but we knew that she needed to be prayed for. That same morning, a little girl that had been in a wheel chair, got up and started pushing the wheel chair around. This was unexpected, and people where very shocked.
Next, we had a break then headed to a high school. High schoolers, in my opinion, are generally the same everywhere you go. Again I really appreciate that there is no seperation of church and state. Any time there is an opportunity to save souls, which there always is, it is taken.
After the high school , we had a lunch break and then had a kids club. Growing up, and even now, I never found much joy in clowns, but I realized that for some reason it attracted kids, so me along with Nick and a few others went for it. Looking at some of the photos, I really looked like a creep. Yes, there are pictures. It was fun, even though I probably scared most of the kids. The neighborhood we were in was very sad. Dirt roads, trash everywhere, kids running around with no shoes on, on top of shattered glass. I could tell the kids didnt have much. Many of these families have lived like this forever and this is what they knew.
We had a final service that night with the churches youth, and it was a blast. I really learned a lot today by just looking around me. God is working.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home